PRAY: Ask God to speak to you as you read His Word. Ask Him to allow truths to stand out to you today that He can use to impact you and make you more like Himself. Ask Him to quiet your mind and your heart and allow you to focus completely on Him as you read the pages of Scripture today.
READ: Ephesians 3-4. Mark verses that stand out to you in your Bible or on a piece of paper.
RE-READ Ephesians 3-4. Aloud this time, if possible.
Consider the verses that spoke to you as you read and ask God, once again, to show you what work he would like to do in your heart today. Re-Read the verses that you highlighted. These two chapters of scripture are packed with inspired advice from Paul to believers about what it means for us to be more like Jesus. These are not suggestions from Paul, but commands given by the inspiration of the Holy Spirit.
Don’t read this Scripture today and stay the same. Be different. Write your action step(s) down and remember them throughout this week. Below are a few ideas of actions you may be led to take after reading this passage:
1. Memorize 3:17-21 and bask in God’s love for you. Challenge yourself to believe it, to feel it, to rest in it.
2. Pray 3:14-21 daily this week for someone you know who you desperately want to know and understand and walk in God’s love.
3. Drop a bad habit and start living a life worthy of the calling you have received. (4:1)
4. Be humble, gentle, and patient. (4:2)
5. Quit letting crude, dishonest, slanderous, critical talk come out of your mouth. (4:25, 29)
6. Forgive someone. (4:32)
That list is by no means exhaustive. If you ask God to speak to you through His Word, He will be faithful to teach and challenge you today. It may be through a gentle whisper, it may take time to discern, and you may desperately want to ignore it – but don’t. Be different today because of the difference God, through His Holy Spirit can make in your life as His Word challenges you.